Monday, November 5, 2007

In Between Jobs

(Exhibit A)

Now that I am using up the phenomenal reserve of personal days I have amassed over the years to prepare for my move to Australia, I am finding myself to be much less productive than I had originally intended. Granted, people in this time of “transition” tend not to be as efficient with how they spend their time (picture long lines at the unemployment office); it bothers me that I am not a contributing member of society. However, I would like to emphasize that taxes are still being deducted from my paycheck as we speak. Maybe I shouldn’t feel so guilty after all.

It is now day 3 of my time off and I am starting to believe I have an addiction to structure. I need it to be the best that I can be, without it I am no better than an amoeba, especially in the memory department. This is what the last three non-working business days had been filled with.

Day 1:
I slept in and woke up around 10am. Not bad. Surveyed my mess of a room, courtesy of Wal-mart and Target orgy along with apathetic disregard for order during the last few days (Exhibit A); I am inspired to restore order to my surrounding. But first things first, coffee and some breakie. Flipped on the tube, got on the laptop and had my morning coffee. I thought about taking a shower but cleaning my room took precedence. Hours go by and I still had not moved from my coffee chair mainly because I had just become addicted to Facebook and its many useless frivolous functions of virtual community construction. Now the coffee is mostly consumed and cold, empty breakfast plate begs to be washed of dry crusted once runny yolk. Phone rings, my brother had locked himself out of his car. The most exciting thing to have happened all day. I search on Google map to pinpoint his location while giving him triple A’s number. Crisis averted and I avoided having to leave the house for purposes other than drinking. Dodged a bullet there. Glanced at the clock and realized my presence is required at my own farewell happy hour with coworkers, I jump in the shower to get ready.

I arrive at happy hour, stayed at point A for about 1.5 hours. After that we proceeded to point B and stayed there for about 3 hours. Then we walked next door to point C for another 2 hours before returning to point B to close out the night at 3am. Went home and passed out for the night.

Day 2:
Woke up around 11am, jumped in the shower and checked for any signs of hang-over haggardness. Got dressed and rolled to my going away lunch at noon. Had pizza and a Pepsi while talking to the best coworkers in the world. Said good bye to everyone, grabbed a Starbucks, and headed home to get ready for my next drinking engagement starting at 4:30pm. Drink, drank, drunk until there was no more. Ended the night with a ginormous order of carne asada fries at Roberto’s.

Weekend:
Saturday was not filled with as much drinking as expected. Purged my closet of my old college papers. Amazed and depressed at how I once understood funny math symbols and complex stuffs.

Daylight savings hit. Sunday was filled with mostly beer drinking while watching football and a couple of night caps before once again getting something with carne asada.

Day 3:
Today I woke early for a doctor’s appointment at 9am. Probably the most productive thing I will do all day. After I got out of the medical building I felt jet lagged from lack of coffee and daylight savings. Drove home and made some breakie and of course coffee. Saw a giant puddle in the kitchen that my roommate made but did not bother cleaning up even though he admitted to it while we were talking in the kitchen. Me having short-timer syndrome mirrored his sloth like apathy. Proceeded to jump on Facebook again while watching the Hills on MTV. Pondered what task I should tackle and dismissed it all for less important agenda items such as sitting in my coffee chair blogging this very moment. I hope there will be drinking later tonight to help me train for the Ozlympics.

I wonder what Day 4 will be like…

No comments: